Colonel Scott A. Coniglio is the vice commander, 176th Wing, Alaska Air National Guard, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska. The 176th Wing provides Air Force capabilities of Global Reach and Vigilance through the combined operations of Airlift, Combat Search & Rescue, and Air Sovereignty missions. The wing is responsible for over 1,400 assigned Airmen operating C-17 Globemaster III, HH-60 Pave Hawk, and HC-130J Combat King II aircraft, as well as Guardian Angel and air-warning weapons systems, plus a full array of agile combat support capability for in-state and worldwide deployment. The unit maintains a constant watch and commitment for Pacific Air Forces, Air Combat Command, United States Northern Command, United States Transportation Command, and Alaska North American Aerospace Defense Command Region.
Previous to his current assignment, Colonel Coniglio served as Commander, 176th Maintenance Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska.
Colonel Coniglio joined the Air Force in 1989 and received his commission as a second lieutenant upon graduation from the Air Force Officer Training School in San Antonio, Texas. In 1990, he completed Undergraduate Navigator Training at Mather AFB, California and was assigned to the 773rd Tactical Airlift Squadron at Dyess AFB, Texas. While there, he advanced from C-130 Mission Navigator to evaluator navigator and deployed to combat zones supporting Operations DESERT SHIELD, DESERT STORM, NORTHERN WATCH, SOUTHERN WATCH, UPHOLD DEMOCRACY, PROVIDE COMFORT and SAFE PASSAGE. In 1995, he was reassigned to the 517th Airlift Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska where he served as the Squadron executive officer, evaluator navigator and deputy flight commander for Standardization and Evaluation. In 1997, he transferred to the 3rd Operations Support Squadron as chief of Airlift Scheduling. In 1999, Colonel Coniglio left the Active Air Force and joined the Alaska Air National Guard’s 144th Airlift Squadron. In 2000, he transferred to the 210th Rescue Squadron and was hired into the AGR program as a deputy commander assigned to the 11th Air Force Rescue Coordination Center. In 2003, he was reassigned to the 211th Rescue Squadron as chief of aircrew training and deployed to Uzbekistan in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. In 2011, Colonel Coniglio served as the 211th Rescue Squadron’s Director of Operations. From 2012 through 2015, he served as Commander,176th Maintenance Squadron. Colonel Coniglio is a Master Navigator having accumulated more than 6,000 flight hours, which includes 259 combat flying hours in C-130 and HC-130 aircraft. As an HC-130 navigator, senior controller, search and rescue duty officer, he has participated in 284 rescue missions and is credited with 138 lives saved. Colonel Coniglio and his wife Kerstin have two daughters, Noelle and Morgan.
1986 Bachelor of Arts, Biology, Western State College, Gunnison, Colo.
1989 Officer Training School, San Antonio, Texas
1990 Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Joint Personnel Combat Search and Rescue Directors Course, Fredericksburg, Va.
2002 Inland Search and Rescue Coordination Course, Juneau, Alaska
2005 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2009 Air War College (Correspondence)
1. July 1989-April 1990, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. April 1990-October 1993, C-130 Mission/Instructor Navigator, 773rd Tactical Airlift Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
3. October 1993-May 1995, C-130 Evaluator Navigator, 40th Airlift Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
4. May 1995-September 1996, C-130 Evaluator Navigator, 517th Airlift Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
5. September 1996-June 1998, Chief of Airlift Scheduling, 3rd Operations Support Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
6. June 1998-May 1999, Deputy Flight Commander, 517th Airlift Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
7. May 1999-June 2000, C-130 Instructor Navigator, 144th Airlift Squadron, Kulis ANGB, Alaska
8. June 2000-February 2001, HC-130 Navigator, 210th Rescue Squadron, Kulis ANGB, Alaska
9. February 2001-December 2003, Deputy Commander, 11th Air Force Rescue Coordination Center, Fort Richardson, Alaska
10. December 2003-July 2011, Chief of Training, Chief Navigator, 211th Rescue Squadron, Kulis ANGB, Alaska
11. July 2011-June 2012, Director of Operations, 211th Rescue Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
12. June 2012-October 2015, Commander, 176th Maintenance Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
13. Oct 2015-Present, Vice Wing Commander, 176th Wing, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
Rating: master navigator
Flight hours: more than 5,800
Primary aircraft flown: C-130E/H, HC-130N
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal (1Device)
Air Medal (2 Devices)
Aerial Achievement Medal (1 Device)
Air Force Commendation Medal (2 Devices) Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Combat Readiness Medal (6 Devices)
National Defense Service Medal (1 Device)
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (1 Device)
Southwest Asia Service Medal (3 Devices)
Afghanistan Campaign Medal (1 Device)
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Long
Air Force Expeditionary Service Medal with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service (5 Devices)
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with M Device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (1 Device)
Air Force Training Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal Kingdom Of Saudi Arabia
Kuwait Liberation Medal Government of Kuwait
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 22, 1989
First Lieutenant June 22, 1991
Captain June 22, 1993
Major Oct. 1, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel September 25, 2006
Colonel September 19, 2016