Brig. Gen. Anthony D. Stratton is the 176th Wing Commander, Alaska Air National Guard, Joint Base Elmendorf Richardson, Alaska. He is responsible for the combat readiness of five Air Force weapon systems and nearly 1,600 Airman. He ensures the Alaska North American Aerospace Defense Region search and rescue and air defense priorities, the Pacific Air Forces strategic airlift requirements, and combat force projection for Mobility and Combat Air Forces missions coordinated through the National Guard Bureau.
Brig. Gen. Stratton received his commission in 1990 from the Academy of Military Science at McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tennessee. He has also commanded at the squadron and group levels, and has held multiple operational and staff assignments within the 176th Wing and Joint Force Headquarters-Alaska. He is a command pilot with instructor qualifications in both the C-130H2 and C-17A.and has combat deployments supporting Operation ENDURING FREEDOM. Prior to his current position, he served as Commander, 176th Maintenance Group, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska.
1993 Associate of Applied Science in Professional Piloting, University of Alaska Anchorage
1993 Bachelor of Science in Technology, University of Alaska Anchorage
1997 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
1998 Contingency Wartime Planners Course, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2006 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2015 Asian Pacific Orientation Course, Asian Pacific Center for Security Studies, Fort Derussey, Hawaii
2015 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2016 Arctic Domain Security Studies, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
2016 Joint Task Force Commanders Course, U.S. NORTHERN COMMAND, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2017 Dual Status Commanders Course, U.S. NORTHERN COMMAND, Peterson AFB, Colo.
2017 Military Operations Research Society Certificate in Wargaming, Virginia Polytechnic Institute University, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
2018 Accelerated Aircraft Maintenance Officer Course, Sheppard AFB, Texas
2021 Deputy Combined Forces Air Component Commander, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
2021 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Chapel Hill Club, Washington, D.C.
2021 Senior Leader Orientation Course, JB Andrews, Va.
1. February 1988 – April 1988, Student, Basic Military Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. April 1988 – June 1988, Student, Propulsion Technician, Chanute AFB, Ill.
3. June 1988 – August 1990, Propulsion Technician, 176th Maintenance Squadron, Kulis Air National Guard Base, Alaska
4. August 1990 – October 1990, Student, Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson ANG Base, Tenn.
5. October 1990 – August 1991, Student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
6. August 1991 – October 1991, Student, C-130 Initial Qualification, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
7. October 1991 – September 1994, Line Navigator, 144th Airlift Squadron, Kulis ANG Base, Alaska
8. September 1994 – August 1995, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
9. August 1995 – November 1996, Student, C-130 Initial Qualification, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
10. November 1996 – September 1999, Operations Plans Officer, 176th Wing, Kulis ANG Base, Alaska
11. September 1999 – October 2001, Chief, Command Post, 176th Wing, Kulis ANG Base, Alaska
12. October 2001 – August 2002, Chief Wing Plans, 176th Wing, Kulis ANG Base, Alaska
13. August 2002 – December 2004, Chief Current Operations, 176th Operations Support Flight, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
14. December 2004 – April 2008, Chief Pilot/Chief Current Operations, 144th Airlift Squadron, Kulis ANG Base, Alaska
15. April 2008 – August 2011, Assistant Director of Operations, 176th Operations Support Flight, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
16. August 2011 – August 2013, Director of Operations, 249th Airlift Squadron, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
17. August 2013 – March 2015, Commander 144th Airlift Squadron, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
18. March 2015 – August 2015, Deputy Commander 176th Operations Group, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
19. August 2015 – February 2016, Commander 176th Operations Group, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
20. February 2016 – June 2018, Director of Operations, Training, & Exercises, Joint Force Headquarters-Alaska, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
21. June 2018 – December 2019, Commander, 176th Maintenance Group, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
22. January 2020 – Present, Commander, 176th Wing, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1.February 2016 – June 2018, Director of Operations, Training, & Exercises, Joint Force Headquarters-Alaska, JB Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska, as a colonel
Rating: command pilot (including more than 120 combat sorties)
Flight hours: more than 5,000
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38A, C130E/H, C-17, HC-130J, HH-60G
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Sept. 20, 1990
First Lieutenant Dec. 6, 1992
Captain March 10, 1995
Major March 15, 1999
Lieutenant Colonel April 1, 2003
Colonel Dec. 7, 2016
Brigadier General Dec. 14, 2020
(Current as of February 2022)